• I had many many times this problem. In most cases with 32Bit textures of Jürgen Baumbusch.

I reconverted most 32Bit textures with dxt program into 32Bit again.

I've had this, and it takes a quick eye to spot an untextured aircraft before the sim goes "boom". It happened to me a few weeks ago when I saw some traffic I'd set up over a year ago, but not visited Saskatoon. An ATR42 painted by Paco, who knows his stuff, was missing an alpha channel.

I've had fewer problems now that I tend to download the FSX versions of textures and run those through my texture conversion routine, DDS2BMP, made 3 or 4 years ago. Since the process involves very little effort it's a decent safety check on aspects like alphas that is always better than diagnosing a mysterious CTD problem. Even when there are FS9 textures available I'll use the converter instead, just to play safe. Paco's ATR42 (WestWind Aviation) problem was an FS9 texture, although since it was already installed I could simply use DXTBMP to fix it. Took me half a morning to pin the problem down, though. Luckily I was at Saskatoon and not Frankfurt!

“Every word has consequences. Every silence, too.” - Sartre

• sometimes the CTD happens instantly after the AI has been loaded so you wouldnt have enough time to see the damaged texture.

In this case the AI timetable is helpful.

Lets asume the CTD always happens in Frankfurt. I would then load the flight from Egelsbach near Frankfurt and increase the range of the AI Timetable.

Then I note all aircrafts which are currently there and check the regs and then the folders.

I always place the AI by hand and rename the folder so that always the Reg is visible.

It takes a little bit of time but if you have some routine it goes quick.

But it is always frustrating if the CTD happens after a nice flight.

I use the AI Timetable of Hans Jürgen Merkel.

• Would you please export your setting and upload it for us?

But with pleasure :) :

I could import it after deleting the default settings provided by my NVidiaProfileInspectorDmW-v3.5.0.0-Windows.

And best of all, it works :)

Gruß aus Bayern

Intel Core I5 7500, Gigabyte B250H, 16GB DDR4, NVDIA Geforce GTX 1050TI 4GB

• sometimes the CTD happens instantly after the AI has been loaded so you wouldnt have enough time to see the damaged texture.

The AI aircraft has to be in the viewport before the CTD happens, it won't cause a problem while it is "out of shot" because the sim won't try to render it.

At Saskatoon I was looking in another direction and could pan around my aircraft in spot view while looking at the edge of the screen from where new objects were appearing. You have a very brief moment where the aircraft model is placed, before the texture handling causes a crash. Just long enough to see what it is.

There is a program to spot textures that are missing an alpha channel. I've used it on aircraft in the past. DXTBMP will show an all-black alpha if one is missing that should be present.

I just use a "brute force" method using a binary search. Start the flight without AI and then save it to recall the exact scenario. Take half of the plans away and see what happens. If you have 300 flightplans you'll take 10 iterations of this approach to get down to about 3 suspect flightplans.

You can also shave some away by excluding plans from the check if they don't operate into Frankfurt, such as Frontier, Southwest, Aloha and Andes, but it could take as long to filter those out as it would to make the first iteration and remove 1500 plans from the reckoning.

• seems to be an exhaustive job - really . . .

»Imagine there’s no countries / It isn’t hard to do / Nothing to kill or die for / And no religion, too / Imagine all the people / Livin’ life in peace.«

John Lennon

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti / 32 GB DDR-4 SDRAM / MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C37) / Windows 11

• It is! I'm reaching the point where I don't want it to be a mental job but a mechanical one. The alpha-checker is a good tool to use.

• Thank you both Ahmed and Matthew for the advise.

I usually use the "Ctrl-w" function to cycle through the AI-aircraft in the area after setting the time and place to where my crash happened.

In the case of Frankfurt and my initial crashes, no AI was at fault but rather a driver/DirectX issue.

Luckily it seems to be sorted as I have now flown into and out of there on 3 occasions with no crashes :)

Kobus