• I now add and remove sceneries directly using the Scenery.CFG file. I have also found one or two instances where the layer= number was the same for more than one scenery, one which caused a crash...

This enables me to shorten the turnaround time to activate or exclude ...

This has been my approach for a few years too, it's just so much faster to get things done, especially as my sim took a while to start up and I always started from a saved situation that was accessed from a desktop shortcut (to "previous_flight.flt") that could take even longer depending on where I last was.

I took the opportunity at that time to also align the scenery layer numbers with the priorities, so they were always in alignment.

“Every word has consequences. Every silence, too.” - Sartre

• That is exactly the way I am dealing with it too. No automaticly generated chaos. The chaos is selfmade.
    Dedl

Wer bekommt was er mag ist erfolgreich, wer mag was er bekommt, ist glücklich. (M. Luther)

md11---scenery-mapsktkcw.jpg

• There is or was a program to do this

May be you are talking about "SceneryConfigEditor" from Andrew Thornton, a very helpful freeware tool to organize your whole FS9 scenery folder.

Best
    Andreas

“That’s one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind.” (Neil A. Armstrong)

• I have, thanks to you, now stopped the CTD in my UUEE scenery from DRZEWIECKI DESIGN.

Hello John,

can you please provide the names of the landclass files in UUEE scenery faulder?

Best
    Andreas

“That’s one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind.” (Neil A. Armstrong)

• These are the ones I moved:

MosFS9vect_LWM2
    MosFS9vect_LWM3
    000_UUEE_CVX
    0_UUEE_CVX_VTPX
    UUEE_CVX_VTPL
    UUEE_CVX_VTPP
    UUEE_CVX_LWM2

Moving the texture files was probably more important.

The VTPX is an exclude but must go with the rest.

• Thank you, John, that's a very useful list!

I have the UUEE scenery (once it was made freeware a few years ago, COVID time) and have not had a CTD there on my one visit - at least not that I can recall. I will shift those files out when I get the opportunity down the line.

I already have separated landclass and mesh layers and can just move them over.

• My limited knowledge on this subject comes from Mark Griggs when I made a background for YAMB. The sim will work fine for a while and then crash if you move around enough. I was getting crashes at UUEE and UUWW. Now, no issues. Leading me to believe it was the ground texture files in the same folder as the VTPH.bgl (Renamed in this case). I never contemplated that pay ware would cause this.

• A number of users also ended up getting an "attitude" from DD regarding the problems, Dedl for one. It reminded me a little of the same problem with Umberto and "Cloud 9" products. I know that supporting a product is a nightmare due to differences in the user systems. It's never good enough to simply tell the user that everybody else is fine and they must have made the error for themselves, it is still worth suggesting changes that help the developer diagnose things remotely. It's also a slow and frustrating process at both ends, the difference being that on one end, the developers, there should be a professional attitude no matter how much the customer might rant and rave.

It's always possible that a user's quirky setup may be revealing some more serious problem in the actual product.

I had a far better experience with the Aerosoft Innsbruck when I acquired that years ago. My mesh (mix of default and various freeware additions) was making the immediate surroundings look fairly bad and raised a question as to what I could do to improve things - just expecting some advice. Instead, Matthias (?, I might be wrong about the name, but it was something like that) provided me with a series of modifications until I felt it was as good as it would get. I was extremely impressed and felt that we'd actually worked as a team to get this right, me feeding images one way and he a revised file or two the other way. I'd say that it was some of the most professional support I'd received for anything, anywhere! What's more, it was almost enjoyable.

I'd have been just as happy with some advice as to what alternative meshes I might be able to use, instead, he went the extra light year.

There are some impressive developers out there.

• I just had an email from a customer saying that some gauges were missing in my DC-10 panel.

I know that gauges written with C++ do not like a negative value in the panel cfg ...or being squashed for that matter.

This has never been a problem as far as I know, in fact one of the advantages of XML gauges.

As the missing gauges did have negative position values. I wrote the gauges again so they would not have a negative value and bingo problem solved. He received them the next day.

Lesson. On different systems albeit still FS9 different rules apply.

Still not a fan of DD's or FSDT's service.

Regards

Ed

• Back to CTD over Germany.

I decided to go to EDDK and EDDF in my sim. I have the Aerosoft airports.

I selected the default planning Map in the game and started navigating up the Rhine, south wards, from EDDK. The game stopped and exited. When selecting the map from EDDF the game exits immediately.

I have had this before when I had an addon containing a VOR that had been moved to a different position. Also if the mesh or flattens conflict this also happens.

I will try to check the EDDF Scenery