Skandinavien für Konvertiere

• Mein Respekt Dedl, deine weiteren Orbx-Konvertierungen von ESKS und ESSA toppen alles. Da hat sich die viele Mühe doch gelohnt.

Viele Grüße

Stefan

To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder.

• Schön, wenn es so wäre. Da trapst auch keine Nachtigall...

... denn da gibt es vieles, da lass ich meine Pfoten von...

Darum auch der https://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/konfus/g079.gif und ;) bei der "trapsenden Nachtigall".

Wir sehen immer (und immer wieder mit Freude und Staunen) das tolle Ergebniss deiner Konvertierungen, haben vielleicht auch eine ungefähre Vorstellung davon, dass der Aufwandsumfang beim konvertieren von "überschaubar bis sehr anspruchsvoll" reicht, aber was du tatsächlich an Zeit und Mühe einbringen mußt, das erschließt sich manchem von uns gar nicht (ausser natürlich den Experten aus dem Konvertierungzirkel).

Lieben Gruß
    Andreas

“That’s one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind.” (Neil A. Armstrong)

• My "up to date" computer?

It's an i5 4670k, I think there's 32GB memory and a fairly basic graphics card with 2GB cache, so it's not supersonic by any means! 10 year old processor that was as far as I could update on the system motherboard I have. The 32GB main memory can't be clocked at its full rate either, due to the processor limitations, and the processor is in turn limited by the motherboard - so the only way I could speed things up is by upgrading to a new system completely and moving the memory over to that one.

Well, I could also install SSDs instead of my rustic HDDs.

I've also heard that people can create fire by banging rocks together.

That Copenhagen might have flaws that you can see, but all I've noticed is a big difference to the scenery I'm using! - and which I'm fine with.

“Every word has consequences. Every silence, too.” - Sartre

• Hi brother in spirit,

it is not a shame that we all here mostly like old fashioned stuff... ^^

Kleiner Nachtrag zu Arlanda. Ich habe vorhin geschrieben, dass meine Frames dort ziemlich im Keller sind.

Daraufhin habe ich gerade die vielen Photo-Groundtexturen von DXT3 in DXT1 umgewandelt. Und siehe da, fast doppelt so viele FPS, wie gestern:!: So um die 20 und wunderbar zu fliegen... Ein ganz neues Stockholm Erlebnis. :love:

So long
    Dedl

Wer bekommt was er mag ist erfolgreich, wer mag was er bekommt, ist glücklich. (M. Luther)

md11---scenery-mapsktkcw.jpg

• Hi brother in spirit,

it is not a shame that we all here mostly like old fashioned stuff... ^^

I'll tell you something; this "fire" is really good! I think it could "catch on"! I even get a moderate workout banging the rocks! With a few colder nights lately it will come in useful.

+++

It's interesting that simply making DXT3 to DXT1 - assuming there were no alpha channels - should make such a difference. The images are half the original size and will be easier to cache if there are many of them, but normally a scenery's textures are collectively small enough to fit in a typical graphics card cache. Even the 2GB in my GPU.

It must be a nice feeling to get such a big result from what seems like such a small change of plan!

• Yeah, I was really surprized and astonished too. The size of all the 78 textures involved went down from 105mb to the half. My computer got glad about that and thanked for it in a very nice way.

Dedl

Wer bekommt was er mag ist erfolgreich, wer mag was er bekommt, ist glücklich. (M. Luther)

• Yeah, I was really surprized and astonished too. The size of all the 78 textures involved went down from 105mb to the half. My computer got glad about that and thanked for it in a very nice way.

Dedl

Did you check for alpha channels?

Günther

Gruß aus Bayern

Intel Core I5 7500, Gigabyte B250H, 16GB DDR4, NVDIA Geforce GTX 1050TI 4GB

• Moin Günther,

wenn ich das richtig verstanden habe, gibt es doch zwei DTX1 Versionen, unter den man wählen kann, DXT1 (na) und DXT1. "na" bedeutet doch "No Alphas". Ich habe von daher das Zweite gewählt, da dürften die Alphas doch egal sein. Hat jedenfalls wunderbaren Effekt gehabt.

Lieben Gruß
    Dedl

• A DXT1 alpha channel is just a single data bit, a binary value on or off. Provided any alpha channels in the original are black or white there is not much difference, but if the alpha is a greyscale value then that subtle effect will be gone. It's either completely transprent or completely opaque. To make matters worse, that 1-bit alpha means that the color depth of the original is reduced considerably (by about half, although that is often less obvious than it sounds).

If you went for DXT1 without alpha, then any alpha channel data in the originals will have gone. However if there was no alpha to begin with, you are simply saving a lot of space!