Calling All Cars - HELP Airport Vehicles

• Hello all.

I am closing in on my upgrade to KRNO (Reno-Tahoe International Airport).

About a week away from releasing. But in order to make it much more realistic, I need some help from someone in our community. As is, the airport in its current state, has several ground servicing vehicles and some baggage carts. However, they are all generic and colored blue. Blah

I need someone with the knowledge, and talent, to create a better BGL which places carts, trucks, food trucks, and Avgas trucks within the scenery. I have a image which accurately depicts which gate each airline is assigned. Come on guys & gals. This old fart needs some help. :P

Michael

• Could you use ADE9X to create the AFD and place your objects? Possibly in separate BGLs, but I don't really know.

The only object placement I ever did was placing MDL files using SceneGenX about 15 years ago or more, and that is apparently the wrong approach when there are many similar objects (then you create an object library, which I have never done).

From this FSDeveloper thread (below) it seems that you'd be best off making an object library and then selecting objects from that library to scatter around the scenery using ADE9X. This is not something I've done, so perhaps someone will weigh in on the practicalities.

FS2004 - Using Gmax objects with ADE9X
    Hi all. OK finally I managed to create an object MDL for FS scenery objects using gmax. Right now I have two generated files 1).XML 2).MDL. Using BGLcomp I…
    www.fsdeveloper.com

“Every word has consequences. Every silence, too.” - Sartre

• I agree with Richard. Best way to accomplish your task is to collect the objects into a library and then place in the scenery using ADE9 or some other dedicated object placement tool such as instant scenery. If you don't have your own objects to put in a library then you could use ADE9 or Instant Scenery to place generic objects. Alternatively, there are many freeware object libraries over at AVSIM that were made specifically for placement by object placement tools. I find most of them too cartoonish though. Seems to me that you and David Rawlins had some custom made ground service vehicles in one or more of your joint projects. That might be the starting point. David's vehicles are outstanding.

You are welcome to use any of my ground support equipment models in your scenery as long as you give me credit and put a note to say the objects are not be redistributed or used without my permission. I put a lot of work into those objects. You can find the libraries in any of my Canadian airports. Just make sure you change the GUID numbers to avoid problems. I'm sorry that I cannot offer more help than that. I don't have much time for FS9 these days but I still like checking in here to see what others are up to. Good luck with your project.

Greg

Greg_Putz

Regina Canada

• Thanks guys. But I think your missing the point. The point is I do not possess the software or knowledge of adding scenery such as this. If I did, I'd re-do the entire airport.

I need someone willing to add them for the sake of the scenery while I continue to overhaul the textures. If you have such skills and a little free time, let me know and I will send you the entire package I currently have. It would certainly make the scenery much more realistic than the current drab blue vehicle objects.

Michael

• Hello

Thanks to Greg for your generous permission to use your objects. You are outstanding.

If there will be no other one doing that work, I can give it a try with ADE in two weeks time when I am back in Germany and when my broken arm is a little better again... There will be no touring for us 10 weeks ahead, time will not be a problem.

Cheers

Dedl

Wer bekommt was er mag ist erfolgreich, wer mag was er bekommt, ist glücklich. (M. Luther)

md11---scenery-mapsktkcw.jpg

• Hi Michael,

I could help as well, but next week earliest. I was introduced to converting a FSX scenery by Dedl many moons ago - it was KSBY Salisbury. Later I added baggage carts and ground personnel (even 3D) with ADE. It really not a big deal and I found plenty of those items that add life to a scenery in several library files that are available at avsim or flightsim.com or else.

Cheers Kali

»Imagine there’s no countries / It isn’t hard to do / Nothing to kill or die for / And no religion, too / Imagine all the people / Livin’ life in peace.«

John Lennon

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti / 32 GB DDR-4 SDRAM / MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C37) / Windows 11

• Thanks Kali.

Yea I’ve often reached out to those who know how to design. Unfortunately they are too busy or simply not willing to share their knowledge. The ones that are too busy I certainly can relate to and understand. The latter, no comment. I simply do not get it. One guy I even offered to pay his website bill for 1 year in exchange for some scenery design tutoring. Never heard from him again. LOL. I’m only doing these upgrades as a gift back to the community which has shared many beautiful creations with all of us.

If you’re willing to add the carts, trucks, etc. to the assigned gates that would go a long way to sprucing up the scenery. Again this is a Mach-1 creation like many of the others I’ve upgraded. KRNO, like most of their releases, seemed to be thrown together very quickly which resulted in duplicate textures being assigned to multiple buildings. I’m in no way diminishing their efforts. Rather stating how difficult it is to perfect any one building as the textures are used elsewhere.

Another challenge to this version of KRNO is a lot of default buildings were factored into the scenery release. For example, the control tower is pure default from the base scenery. =O

I’m quickly coming to the realization that buying a commercial version of the desired airport & converting it for personal use replaces the wasted hours and headaches. X/

All the best,

Michael

• :?:

Hi Michael,

is it my lacking English? Did I get you right - this project is put to the waste bin?

Dedl

Wer bekommt was er mag ist erfolgreich, wer mag was er bekommt, ist glücklich. (M. Luther)

md11---scenery-mapsktkcw.jpg

• ...when my broken arm is a little better again... There will be no touring for us 10 weeks ahead, time will not be a problem.

Yikes, Dedl. From one guitarist to another, I hope the recovery and physio gets everything back 100%.

“Every word has consequences. Every silence, too.” - Sartre