• Eine Frage zum AI im FS9:

Mit meinem "altem" PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i7-4790K, Base 4 GHz, Turbo 4,4 GHz

RAM: 32GB, HyperX, 4x DDR-3, 8GB, Dual 3.977.3 MHz

GPU : nVidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition, 24GB VRAM

Displays: 4 Displays

22" Acer B226WL - 32" Asus XG32VQR - 22" Acer B226WL

4,8" VRinsight - CDU II panel

habe ich nun Probleme mit "zu wenig Arbeitsspeicher beim Laden aller installierten Szenerien.
    --
    Ich habe unendlich viel Traffic Dateien mit den entsprechenden AI Fliegern, es hat sich herausgestellt das wohl dort das Problem liegt.

Ich habe mal die nun auch doch alten WoAI Dateien für Airlines herausgenommen (so 606 mit insgesamt 88MB) - siehe da, alles ok.
    Ich habe den Eindruck das der AI- Traffic immer komplett beim Start des FS9 geladen wird, nicht wie die angeflogenen oder in der Nähe befindlichen Flugplätze der

installierten Sceneries.

-
    Was sind Eure Erfahrungen für den FS9 - sind viele kleine Traffic Dateien für den Arbeitsspeicher besser oder eher eine große (wie die von mir nicht benutzte mehr

benutzte originale Traffic030528.bgl mit ca 17MB) ?

Danke für Eure Antworten im voraus.

• Welches Windows hast Du denn installiert?

Du kannst mit dem Task Manager doch zusehen, wie sich der Speicher füllt.

Das könnte interessant sein.

Die Hardware ist bestens...

Gruß aus Bayern

Intel Core I5 7500, Gigabyte B250H, 16GB DDR4, NVDIA Geforce GTX 1050TI 4GB

• Was sind Eure Erfahrungen für den FS9 - sind viele kleine Traffic Dateien für den Arbeitsspeicher besser oder eher eine große (wie die von mir nicht benutzte mehr

benutzte originale Traffic030528.bgl mit ca 17MB) ?

All AI traffic files are scanned at situation startup, and I think this is to build a database it keeps "in memory" even if that is VM (virtual memory - on disk). The sim cannot assume that any particular aircraft is not in the area around your plane (the AI visual zone, which seems to be about 80NM radius). It also can't assume that a carrier based in Colombia won't be seen in Europe, Avianca may well be, but it can't assume that a domestic Argentinian airline won't be there either - even though we know it won't be. It's also probable that an airline may be passing though that airspace, in which case it needs to be spawned at altitude so that it can begin flying through your airspace as soon as the sim starts running, and the sim also needs to know broadly where along its track the AI plane will be. So everything gets scanned to determine whether it is within your AI visual zone at simulation start. Things that the sim knows are within your AI visual zone will be set up in a list that you can see in the Traffic Toolbox "Explorer" option in your top menu bar. The sim will set up anything that is in the air, but a moment before the simulation starts, the sim will populate the airport parking spots with the AI in this list of aircraft it has determined are relevant.

What might happen at this point is that you have airfields with insufficient parking, and you can see the effect of this in Traffic Toolbox, where the list might grow to 526 AI planes and then suddenly collapse to 387 planes. This tells you that you are short of 139 parking spots in this particular AI zone.

If your flightplan points to an aircraft that is either mis-named or not installed, then it doesn't even make the list. But the sim has to check the plan regardless to find this out. The more AI traffic you have, the longer this whole process takes. My setup has a rather long startup time! Then again, I have added a lot of GA planes in the past 2 years, about 700 home-made flightplans in all. I am in the process of trimming down my generic GA AI files to improve this, since there are tens of thousands of generic AI planes set up that never get used because they have a percentage value that is high (they will only appear when my traffic percentage is 90%, for example, when I have it fixed at about 15%). That's a lot of traffic that will never be seen, so I'm fixing that. My airline traffic is always full-on, so my percentage slider only thins out GA traffic. But I still have a lot of generic GA across my FS world, separated out into broadly continental zones, when I only really need the planes that are 15% or lower from all these files..

Rrgarding the file arrangements, 1 biggie vs 100s of little ones, I went for lots of smaller files. This makes administration far simpler, since you are not having to add and remove from one huge file, and the overhead of opening each of these files and releasing the file handle is minimal compared to the rest of the work involved in actually reading and acting on the contents. I don't know whether the sim holds any of these files in VM (virtual memory) because I'm fairly certain that they are read only once, as the sim starts up but, if it did - for whatever reason - it might actually be better to hold a set of whole small files than it would be to hold lots of fragments of a gargantuan file, when memory might end up occupied with some data that is not relevant but just happens to be near a bit of data that is. These files would have to be referenced by the sim on a regular basis to introduce new aircraft into the simulation - either because they fly into your AI zone from afar, or because you are actually flying in the sim and suddenly Gatwick and then Heathrow airport swims into your AI zone as you reach the English Channel and lots of planes suddenly need to be placed at gates. This does tend to suggest that the AI traffic database is instead created from all the files on startup and then used until the sim is closed.

For ease of admin alone I would tend to go for 1 file per operator wherever possible.

What makes me think that it is entirely possible that FS reads all the traffic files and then synthesises its own gargantuan AI database that it then uses to run the sim, with everything "tokenized" to save space (space-consuming aircraft names would be turned into numbers, for example), is the fact that changes to flightplans require a sim restart. I have altered and recompiled a flightplan while the sim is running, and even if I alter the sim time to force a reload, the changes are not reflected in the sim, whereas an edited texture will be seen to change if you look at enough other AI planes to flush the graphics cache, and a changed AFD/AFCAD can also be seen in the same sim session if you change location to somewhere far away and then change back to where you were - so textures and AFDs are read "on demand" according to where you are. This suggests that the sim is running on its own huge global AI database that it created on startup, but anything that can be isolated to a location or an aircraft is read (and re-read) on demand unless it is already cached.

If that's the case, then all these file access of individual plans only happens once, and not when the sim is running - in which case for a small penalty as this database is created, you get a large bonus in being able to delete and add carriers far more easily. My sim is frozen in the 2019 timeframe and this is less important to me, but if you keep up with changing airline schedules you really must use individual files or face a ton of work.

“Every word has consequences. Every silence, too.” - Sartre

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Ministry of Truth (14. September 2023 08:50) aus folgendem Grund: Typos and, also, a clarification. Then anotter typo and another clarification.

• Hi "Swag" - good to see you here!

The 4GB patch is a good idea. I have not applied it to my setup but will if I think it needs doing in future. At the moment "it aint broke", although sometimes it pretends to be.

One of the memory problems of the past concerned a memory leak caused by sceneries that have no textures, but which have a texture folder, but the AI system is in general quite solid.

All recent versions of Windows are more than capable of handing the sorts of file sizes that FS can generate, it is FS9 itself that is the limiting factor, since the max file size it can handle - as a 32-bit program - is 4GB (hence the patch to max out it's capabilities). Even so, I can't see even the maddest AI setup bringing any problems to the sim (and mine is mildly psychotic at 2,313 traffic BGLs weighing in at 396MB for the lot - 700 of those added in the past year. Most of those are 52-week plans, so the disk size will vary every week as these 700 GA BGLs get replaced by the new week's 700.

Also, it's now better to live without the WOAI files since many are no longer up-to-date, same with other great packages of the past such as Ultimate GA (although they might work for retro setups, I suppose).

• Hi All,

First a big "Thank you" for all suggestions made, awesome...

It turned out that Windows will copy all Model files from used AI aircraft into folder C:/user/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FS9/AICRAFT and for me there are now 2.823 planes, because I installed all plane types seperated for several Air Forces to keep them visible for edit.

-

By sure every time FS9 is started Windows will load all these seperated models...

SnapCrab_NoName_2023-9-14_19-6-46_No-00.png

• By sure every time FS9 is started Windows will load all these seperated models...

That's a good argument for consolidating each type!

I noticed this a few years ago but have not thought too hard as to why this might be done. For example the sim actually changing something in the MDL formats would make it necessary, but I can't see why it would do that.

If anyone has theories, or knows, that would be interesting to hear!