Shannon (SNN) arrival from Abuja (ABV) IL-62MGr

• I wrote to Edgar, explained my problem and ask for a custom code for the tail support animation. He delivered.

That attitude makes Edgar something of a Flight Sim artisan. Gets feedback that tells him the model could be improved with a tweak, and he makes the changes without a second thought because his work matters to him.

A world of difference when we think back to recent conversations here about FSDreamteam/Cloud-9 as was.

“Every word has consequences. Every silence, too.” - Sartre

• It depends on how you would like to see your feedback on the net...

• Ed - gar :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    • FSDreamteam/Cloud -9 :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Dedl

Wer bekommt was er mag ist erfolgreich, wer mag was er bekommt, ist glücklich. (M. Luther)

md11---scenery-mapsktkcw.jpg

• Perhaps something happens to people when they start getting paid to do something. Perhaps they find something they enjoy more than perfection!

Well, we all do something for the love of something. It just works better when the two "somethings" are the same thing.

I should probably put that on a mousemat and stop believing it! :)

• Perhaps something happens to people when they start getting paid to do something. Perhaps they find something they enjoy more than perfection!

Not in my experience.

I have known many developers in my time and have fallen out with a lot of them.^^

Of course it could be me but I think most have issues, some (like Edgar...who is also payware btw) are just damn nice people.<3

Regards

Ed

• I should probably have said "something happens to some people", especially as we're extolling the virtues of FSFrance right here. Edgar fits that demographic well if he's putting the attitude into freeware as well as his commercial projects.

It's as well I don't develop big things, especially for $$$, I'm curmudgeonly enough making the odd bit of AI! I also apply the Pareto Principle in it - 20% of the effort gets 80% of the job done, and the other 80% of the effort gets used in that final 20% push for perfection, and since no two people have the same concept of what's perfect, I just do whatever is easy to do in that final 20%. I tend not to release things so much as let them escape.

I've noticed the "issues" problem in the administration of AI groups, clashes of egos, and some kind of "territory marking" behaviors, and an unfathomable desire to run something that's supposed to be fun more along the lines of a factory. You see it in teams and little sects of painters keeping vital resources away from the huddled masses, which simply stops new people getting involved. I know there are some repainters, for example, that might not create such great work, but how does the hobby ever encourage people to improve if they can't even start?

Having some discipline for payware is a given, but anyone mad enough to make their hobby resemble a day-job certainly has "issues", in my book!

We can't go "down the other trouser-leg of time" to see what the situation would have been like if groups had been more open to everybody's potential contributions, but I'll wager that the hobby would have been broader with at least a few new names in it if they had.

• Very true, Richard also on a higher level. I once philosophied where mankind would already be, if all knowledge would be shared openly and not protected by some copyright just to allow someone to make a fortune out of it. In families and small groups exactly this is done. You share your own experience and knowledge on how-to with your children, with your family and your neighbours. But if it comes to something like a so called business case, suddenly everybody keeps his knowledge locked up in a safe and has contracts with a non-disclosure clause.

Mankind would be lightyears more advanced if we all would share everything be know.

Cheers Kali

»Imagine there’s no countries / It isn’t hard to do / Nothing to kill or die for / And no religion, too / Imagine all the people / Livin’ life in peace.«

John Lennon

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti / 32 GB DDR-4 SDRAM / MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C37) / Windows 11

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von DLH1702 (24. Januar 2024 12:03)

• I noticed that attitude a lot in the IT business, even in a company there would be some employees I would describe as "information sinks". In some IT systems, you would suppress output by rerouting it to the "null device", called "sinking the output". Turned out that some people would be the same, probably because becoming one of many experts was threatening to them, they wanted to be "special". They might think "I know how to do that" and yet say nothing to help.