Oil temp is rising to red.

• Hallo leute,

Ich wollte doch mal fragen ob jemanden einem air file bearbeiten kann?

Mein CLS Piper Archer geht in wenige secunden zu den roten bereich. https://smilies.4-user.de/include/Fahrzeuge/smilie_car_171.gif (Oil temp)

Fruher hat ich da was gemacht in den air file aber ich weis wirklich nicht mehr was.

b727captain.jpg

Grusse aus die Niederlande

Leon

• I don't see any reports of such a problem online. Have there been any changes made by you to the air or CFG? Or are you using it for the first time?

If changes were made, it might be necessary to revert to the files as they were originally installed. It may be simpler than working through the various settings and engineering a "fix" that might lead to other problems.

The only mention I see online for the flight dynamics is that they make the aircraft sluggish and not much like a Piper Arrow at all. If that's the case then it might be necessary to adopt the FDE from an equivalent aircraft, perhaps the Carenado Arrow IV if you have it, and tweak that to become the CLS version of the Arrow. The Carenado had an FDE problem, a bouncing nosewheel, that needed fixing by damping the nose oleo a little more than it was, but otherwise it makes a passable Arrow IV.

“Every word has consequences. Every silence, too.” - Sartre

• If changes were made, it might be necessary to revert to the files as they were originally installed. It may be simpler than working through the various settings and engineering a "fix" that might lead to other problems.

I can absolutely confirm.
    Unfortunately, I myself have often had bad experiences with my own "improvements" (of course this can also be due to my lack of knowledge in this area) and the Air file has become "verschlimmbessert", as we say in German. (I don't think there is a translation for this term ;) .)

Going back to the original Air file was the better solution for me.

“That’s one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind.” (Neil A. Armstrong)

• I don't see any reports of such a problem online. Have there been any changes made by you to the air or CFG? Or are you using it for the first time?

If changes were made, it might be necessary to revert to the files as they were originally installed. It may be simpler than working through the various settings and engineering a "fix" that might lead to other problems.

The only mention I see online for the flight dynamics is that they make the aircraft sluggish and not much like a Piper Arrow at all. If that's the case then it might be necessary to adopt the FDE from an equivalent aircraft, perhaps the Carenado Arrow IV if you have it, and tweak that to become the CLS version of the Arrow. The Carenado had an FDE problem, a bouncing nosewheel, that needed fixing by damping the nose oleo a little more than it was, but otherwise it makes a passable Arrow IV.

Strange thing indeed, i googled this issue also but didn't find anything. It's the CLS Piper PA28R Arrow, free for download. I didn't changed anything and it's occurs right after starting the sim. I made a screen from the temp section, notice i'm not even started yet.

test.jpg

b727captain.jpg

Leon

• Almost like the gauge is coded in reverse...

I'm surprised that nobody has ever noticed it.

If the engine isn't running, it would be interesting to see whether the needle moved at all when the engine is idling and cowl flaps closed. That would at least tell you whether the gauge is coded backward, as the needle moved to the left. I wonder whether there is another oil temp gauge that can be substituted for the CLS one? Small panel mod, might do the job. I'm surprised that if the engine isn't running, you also have oil pressure.

• Almost like the gauge is coded in reverse...

I'm surprised that nobody has ever noticed it.

If the engine isn't running, it would be interesting to see whether the needle moved at all when the engine is idling and cowl flaps closed. That would at least tell you whether the gauge is coded backward, as the needle moved to the left. I wonder whether there is another oil temp gauge that can be substituted for the CLS one? Small panel mod, might do the job. I'm surprised that if the engine isn't running, you also have oil pressure.

Hi Ministry of Truth,

I started the sim with the piper at the gate, engines on idle, but i'm surprised, this aircraft don't have the option for cowl flaps open or close. Could that be the problem? CLS don't give support on freeware aircrafts, so i will try the other options you mentioned.

Screenshot-1.png

b727captain.jpg

Leon

• Here is the XML code:

I am sure there is somebody who can understand it

Gruß aus Bayern

Intel Core I5 7500, Gigabyte B250H, 16GB DDR4, NVDIA Geforce GTX 1050TI 4GB

• If I ran 2500rpm I get 240F.

when I go back to Idle (846rpm) the needle goes back to 125F

Gruß aus Bayern

Intel Core I5 7500, Gigabyte B250H, 16GB DDR4, NVDIA Geforce GTX 1050TI 4GB

• If I ran 2500rpm I get 240F.

when I go back to Idle (846rpm) the needle goes back to 125F

That suggests that the scaling is wrong, since it is responding in the correct direction but the zero point seems to actually be 125F, but it could also be the oil temperature value is not compatible with the gauge's scale. The gauge could probably be doctored to get around this, but it would be better to fix the value coming out of the aircraft - since I think that is what's wrong.

I notice the name Ken Mitchell in the XML, and although I'm not sure about what the gauge is actually doing in the code, Ken is a panel luminary and knows more than most people what he is doing. It is strange that the code repeats itself twice - and then does the tooltip code at the end - I think it's to do with the gauge's appearance at night. The gauge is actually fairly simple, it's just controlling the needle rotation along a scale.

Ed is probably better placed than most of us to work out what's confusing the XML. I've used it only for AI planes and don't really understand how it interfaces with the internals of the aircraft.

What it seems like, to me, given that the gauge seems very simple, is that the engine oil temperature scale in the aircraft configuration itself, starts a large part of the way through the scale and heads off the top of that scale. The code in the gauge limits the readings to the 25-180 range (which is written on the face of the gauge as well). So I surmise that it is the value that is sent to the gauge which is wrong.

For example, an oil temperature that starts at 125F and runs up to 240F will, on a gauge that is scaled 25-180f start partway along the gauge scale and move to the right-hand stop even when the oil temperature is supposedly in the right scale.

What I think might be required is an edit to the .air file, which is the suggestion in this thread on FSDeveloper . I assume in there, that there is a value that feeds into the gauge.

I also noticed in the non-FS9 documentation online that the air file outputs a value on the "Rankine scale". If that applies to FS9 also, it means that the fahrenheit value has had 460 added to it. That would press the needle right over to the max value unless it is factored downward.

If you have an air file editor you might be able to see the source of the values that the gauge is receiving, and perhaps get some idea of whether the problem is there.

To summarize - I think the gauge is solid, but the values being fed to it are on a different scale, and I think the solution to that problem might lie in the air file. Sorry I can't be more helpful, I'm a bit short of time presently.