DXT1 oder DXT3 für AI Flugzeuge

• Ich bin mir nicht sicher, ob die Frage hier schon einmal erörtert wurde. Ich habe meine AI Flieger alle auf DXT3 Bitmaps konvertiert. In DXT1 mit alpha channel wären die Bitmaps nochmal etwa halb so groß. Gibt es in der Darstellung damit irgendwelche Nachteile, was die Schärfe angeht? Bei viel AI Verkehr habe ich in EDDF immer wieder OOM Abstürze und ich könnte mir vorstellen, dass geringere Belegung des Arbeitsspeichers durch kleinere Bitmaps für die AI Flugzeug Texturen Abhilfe schaffen könnte. PMDG B744 oder auch iFly B744 sind für mich in EDDF unfliegbar :(

P.S. AI Flugzeug Texturen mit oder ohne MipMaps würde ich auch gerne wissen.

»Imagine there’s no countries / It isn’t hard to do / Nothing to kill or die for / And no religion, too / Imagine all the people / Livin’ life in peace.«

John Lennon

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti / 32 GB DDR-4 SDRAM / MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C37) / Windows 11

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von DLH1702 (7. Dezember 2022 14:04)

• Ich bin mir nicht sicher, ob die Frage hier schon einmal erörtert wurde. Ich habe meine AI Flieger alle auf DXT3 Bitmaps konvertiert. In DXT1 mit alpha channel wären die Bitmaps nochmal etwa halb so groß. Gibt es in der Darstellung damit irgendwelche Nachteile, was die Schärfe angeht? Bei viel AI Verkehr habe ich in EDDF immer wieder OOM Abstürze und ich könnte mir vorstellen, dass geringere Belegung des Arbeitsspeichers durch kleinere Bitmaps für die AI Flugzeug Texturen Abhilfe schaffen könnte. PMDG B744 oder auch iFly B744 sind für mich in EDDF unfliegbar :(

As a user of the IFLY747 I see the IFLY as the problem. Too many oversized textures. IMO the developers did not take memory issues into account.

It is very important (certainly in FS9) to get your texture size and number of textures right when modelling an aircraft and for course the gauge texture sizes as well.

I like the IFly 744 systems (love the airfile!) but dumped the model for the POsky model. (Far better FPS)

The IFly 737 is far better texture wise and I use that as is.

For me an AI texture reduced the DXT3 is plenty reduced enough ...it is after all only one texture.

Regards

Ed

• Thanks guys https://www.animierte-gifs.net/data/media/1897/animiertes-danke-thank-you-smilies-bild-0003.gif

»Imagine there’s no countries / It isn’t hard to do / Nothing to kill or die for / And no religion, too / Imagine all the people / Livin’ life in peace.«

John Lennon

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti / 32 GB DDR-4 SDRAM / MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C37) / Windows 11

• Greg, to translate your comment, you are confirming that DXT1 should do ? AI aircraft usually don't have transparent windows, so with DXT1 textures for AI airplanes one could safe a lot in texture size without a compromise in sharpness compared to DXT3.

Cheers Michael

John Lennon

• Greg, to translate your comment, you are confirming that DXT1 should do ? AI aircraft usually don't have transparent windows, so with DXT1 textures for AI airplanes one could safe a lot in texture size without a compromise in sharpness compared to DXT3.

Cheers Michael

Why not convert an AI to DXT1 and see for yourself?

Regards

Ed

• Just wanted to know if there are any downsides before I do it and waste time on it.

John Lennon

• From memory, so might be slightly off: DXT3 and DXT1 are identical except for the fact that DXT3 also contains an 8 bit alpha channel for things like reflection or transparency. It depends on the model how it is interpreted.

Most AI models do not use it, but some do. Especially newer ones.

For example, FAIB A32X and 737NG uses it as a mask for the antennas and domes (i.e. you can control which ones are visible/invisible for each paint with only one model). FSP A359 uses it for reflection IIRC.

If you use a DXT1 texture for a model that expects DXT3 then you'll typically see all antennas and domes on that plane (often unpainted) or you have an invisible or super reflective aircraft or something like that.

For lightmaps DXT3 is pretty much essential because it usually controls landing lights etc.

• Thanx for that in-depth explanation on the differences between DXT1 and 3. So I will stay with DXT3.

John Lennon