FS9 ground textures

• The ORBX textures might be fine for many places in the world but not so much for the northern parts of my country. I installed it briefly but found trees all over the north beyond the tree line. Places like Iqaluit on Baffin Island had trees and of course this is not reality. So I removed the textures.

Are there trees there only under Orbx and not other textures packs? I'm trying to work out what's amiss. Just replacing textures should just change the appearance of various objects that would appear there no matter what textures they were wearing. If trees appear there only under Orbx, that suggests to me that the autogen itself is being changed or overridden. Either that, or the autogen trees in Orbx are mis-assigned to an autogen value that should produce tundra or icefields or something similar.

If the trees are only there under the Orbx changes, it certainly sounds like the last of the ideas above, namely, the Orbx replacement of default autogen is wrong for tundra (or whatever landclasses Baffin Island has).

That's my uneducated suggestion, at least!

“Every word has consequences. Every silence, too.” - Sartre

• The ORBX textures might be fine for many places in the world but not so much for the northern parts of my country. I installed it briefly but found trees all over the north beyond the tree line. Places like Iqaluit on Baffin Island had trees and of course this is not reality. So I removed the textures.

Are there trees there only under Orbx and not other textures packs? I'm trying to work out what's amiss. Just replacing textures should just change the appearance of various objects that would appear there no matter what textures they were wearing. If trees appear there only under Orbx, that suggests to me that the autogen itself is being changed or overridden. Either that, or the autogen trees in Orbx are mis-assigned to an autogen value that should produce tundra or icefields or something similar.

If the trees are only there under the Orbx changes, it certainly sounds like the last of the ideas above, namely, the Orbx replacement of default autogen is wrong for tundra (or whatever landclasses Baffin Island has).

That's my uneducated suggestion, at least!

You're correct. ORBX does change autogen. https://orbxdirect.com/category/ftx-global/esp

g a p u t z Greg, those are the files with a name similar to this: 013h2an1.agn

You can find them in your (...)\Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\World\texture folder, and maybe replace them with the original FS9 ones.

• Yep... this actually works keeping the agn files you like. The rest blends mostly pretty well around the world.

Greg Peters

KGRR Michigan

• Not sure to that question. I am using the ORBX converted textures minus the .ang files from them in my setup. Would have to assume they are dds and would have to be converted.

Greg Peters

KGRR Michigan

• You're correct. ORBX does change autogen. https://orbxdirect.com/category/ftx-global/esp

I do own a copy of the FTX-Global for my P3D set up. Those textures are really nice but are they the same as the textures. Are you saying those textures are portable to FS9? If they are, that would be amazing.

Sure are. I've been converting FSX/P3D textures for a long time. Well before the Orbx ones were available. There are several Orbx versions out there. I use a combination of these, maybe some GE-Pro and Lennarts even thrown in.