• is there a way to connect with another server in ASE?

From a different source?

... mean time i will search for a work around to get real live weather date for free. They use links to the weather data source, so there must be a workaround. Aerosoft uses ... WXURL=ftp://http://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/observations/metar/cycles/

It would seem to me that the best way to get accurate weather in a simulation would be to use a mixture of METAR for conditions at airfields, but also have a source for upper air data. A METAR won't tell you what the North Atlantic Jet Stream is doing, and a TAF is just a forecast of surface conditions as well, with hints about surrounding weather. Neither of these will give you a number for the wind at 2000' (where winds have become geostrophic since surface friction no longer affects the direction) or 5000', both crucial for light GA, and usually quite different from surface winds due to "backing" and "veering" - I won't get into advection etc! There would also need to be some interpolation or at least a semi-educated guess as to the conditions at the surface and in the upper air for areas that are unpopulated or at least have no nearby airports, or have airports that cannot report surface conditions for some reason or another. The Sahara has no surface conditions for obvious reasons, Ukraine, possibly likewise.

It might even be that FS9 has always assumed a set of conditions in the upper air for all I know! "Have a headwind if flying west across the N Atlantic..." etc. I assume it used a data source for upper air data when ACES was still in control of FS9 weather. Someone might need to have a nosey around inside the FS9 weather dll, you never know whether there might be a plain text field with URLs in it!

The fact that Aerosoft uses an FTP site suggests they are simply downloading a data dump from NOAA and processing it into sim-friendly format in the client system (your FS computer) and piping it into the sim, destroying the data presently being used.

“Every word has consequences. Every silence, too.” - Sartre

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ministry of Truth (23. April 2023 12:41) aus folgendem Grund: Added a link re: surface friction.

• Hello Joaopaz,

I tried the fsrealwx-lite, but like you said it stop working. Download is still availlable but useless, now i'm testing the fsrealwx version 3.0 for 30 days. So far it works perfect but you'll never know. I'll keep you updated.

b727captain.jpg

Grusse aus die Niederlande

Leon

• Hello Joaopaz,

I tried the fsrealwx-lite, but like you said it stop working. Download is still availlable but useless, now i'm testing the fsrealwx version 3.0 for 30 days. So far it works perfect but you'll never know. I'll keep you updated.

Thank you, Leon! :thumbup:

• Now that ASE is dead I replaced it with FS Global so I have it running now on both my FS9 setups. I agree with Michi -- it is a good product. As I said previously, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of ASE but it gets the job done. The good thing is it is a single product that works across all the sim platforms so that might keep FS2004 users safe (fingers crossed).

There is a thread in the Flightsim.com FS2004 forum about the demise of ASE. Someone there says he is still using Active Sky 6.5 by downloading data directly from the NOAA. I still have AS6.5 from back in the day. It was a very good product but, as everyone here knows, HiFi stopped supporting it years ago. I can't get ASE to even open because it hangs up trying to connect to now non-existent servers. AS 6.5 must open without the connection.

The good thing about FS Global is it makes sure AI traffic and airports are all on the same page as far as weather is concerned. It also lets you download historical weather so if you had a big enough hard drive perhaps you could download a year's worth of weather. Perhaps this data comes from NOAA?

Greg_Putz

Regina Canada

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von g a p u t z (23. April 2023 18:34)

• @Greg,

If I am not wrong, with FS Global you can use the wind aloft UPLINK feature in the FMC of ifly 737NG.

So that would be another advantage.

Personally, the aspect of getting real time weather is more important than historical weather.

But I have a question.

Is there a problem about installation regarding hardware?

Is that correct that you can install it only for a certain number?

For example that you are not allowed to install it more than 5 times.

Or does the limit refer to numbers of computers?

• I don't know the answer to your question. I own a copy (bought via Simmarket - it is now cheaper bought direct) so installed the program on the second computer on my own network and both work fine. You could only have ASE on one computer at a time, which is the reason I bought FSG in the first place. That and the prospect after AS6.5 died, ASE might not be far behind. FSG does say in the licensing that you can have it on a LAN. There does not seem to be a prohibition on having it on two computers.

Greg_Putz

Regina Canada

• Ahmed, I forgot to say the FS Global documentation says this about aircraft profiles.

"You can edit existing aircraft profiles or even create new ones. Profiles are stored as XML files in the data\acprofiles sub-folder of the FS Global Real Weather main directory. The files have the following format: Each section (ClimbProfile, CruiseProfile, DescentProfile) may contain as many entries as required."

Not sure if that answers your question

I also forgot to say FSG also allows you to input a flight plan so the weather is updated as you fly the plan. This was also a feature of ASE, as most will know but it had a much fancier interface.

Greg_Putz

Regina Canada